Instructions and Petition
What is an Occupational Limited License?
An Occupational Limited License (OLL) is a driver’s license issued to a driver whose Pennsylvania driving privilege has been, or will be, suspended. An Occupational Limited License authorizes driving a designated motor vehicle, under certain conditions, when it is necessary for the driver’s occupation, work, trade, medical treatment or study. Based on your driving record and violations, the PA Department of Transportation will evaluate whether or not you are eligible for an Occupational Limited License. But first, you must apply by completing the attached Occupational Limited License Petition (form DL-15).
To have continuous driving privileges, you must send your completed Occupational Limited License Petition, check or money order, and Proof of Insurance(s)by certified mail to the PA Department of Transportation at least 20 days before your suspension begins. Within 20 days of receiving your Petition, the Department will inform you in writing whether or not you qualify for an Occupational Limited License. Before an Occupational Limited License can be issued, your current license must be surrendered to the Department.
If your Petition is received and approved, but the Occupational Limited License has not been issued before your suspension begins, the Department will delay the start of your suspension for 15 days. They will issue an approval letter and a temporary license that is valid until the new suspension start date. Credit toward your suspension will begin upon the new effective date or later. During this 15 day delay, you need to send your current driver’s license, by certified mail, to the address shown on the bottom of the Petition.
If you are already under suspension and do not have a valid license, complete and send the attached Petition with a check or money order made payable to PA Department of Transportation, and Proof of Insurance(s) by certified mail to the address shown at the bottom of the Petition. Within 20 days of receiving your Petition, the Department will inform you in writing whether or not you are eligible for an Occupational Limited License.
If you are currently, or about to be suspended for any of these violations, you are not eligible for an Occupational Limited License:
- 3345 – Passing a school bus 1533 or 6146 – Failure to respond to a citation
- 3367 – Racing on highways 1543 – Driving while suspended (possible exceptions)
- 3732 – Homicide by Vehicle 1547 – Refusal to submit to chemical testing (possible exceptions)
- 3733 – Fleeing a Police Officer 1786 – Failure to maintain financial responsibility
- 3734 – Driving without lights ARD ordered suspension for DUI
- 3735 – Homicide by Vehicle/DUI Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act Violations
- 3736 – Reckless Driving Underage alcohol violations (possible exceptions)
- 3742 – Accidents involving death or injury Any serious traffic offense
- 3743 – Leaving scene of an accident Any violations relating to accidents and accident reports
- 3802 – Driving under the influence (possible exceptions)
NOTE: You maybe issued only one (1) Occupational Limited License every five (5) years. You may not apply for any permit, after the Occupational Limited License has been issued.